Saturday, December 10, 2005

Comic Relief for the Winter Blues

Chip Mosher, a self described "simple classroom teacher" who also writes articles for City Life, wrote a hilarious article entitled "Logo Mania" about the search for a new logo for the Clark County School District whose logo has been for the last 50 years- "lamp of learning".
Here are a few of his suggestions:
  • A lynched teacher dangling from a barren tree. The school district historically has denied teachers both their civil and human rights. Tyrannical principals, a brutal grievance system and a justice delayed, justice-denied arbitration process have all served to fill our schools with a gang-banged chain-gang of depressed educators. No wonder teacher morale is so low it has to jump up just to touch bottom.
  • The face of former Superintendent Carlos Garcia with the international red slash drawn across it, bearing the words, "No more idiots!"
  • An old lady sitting in front of a slot machine, a beer in one hand and a cigarette dangling from her lips. Slogan: "Preparing children for their future"
  • A picture of the Titanic sinking. No caption necessary.
  • Two missionaries on bicycles in front of the "Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas" sign. The motto being, "We will pedal your schools into the ground in order to serve our masters in the gaming industry.
On a more positive note, I got 10 computers in my classroom. The potential of what I can do with them has got me very excited! I'm not expecting that they will be up and running until semester with everything on them, but after this year I believe my job is going to be really enjoyable. I am so very fortunate to have such a great situation where I really get to be creative, innovative and help my students. That is what teaching is supposed to be about. But I would not want to be the average teacher in this district, especially at the high school level with 35-40 students per class. Then it becomes crowd control and babysitting, not education.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home